Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Hiatus of a Kind

It's fair to say that shit just got real. In the last few days, I've been coming to terms with everything I need to do this semester (primarily applying for academic jobs, but also teaching and dissertating), and I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to spend on this blog in the near futureI don't want to declare myself on hiatus, but I also know that I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, and I'd like to have as few distractions as possible. I'm writing this in a post not because I think you'll die of worry if I don't blog every few days, but because I want to blog every few days and I can't afford to do so right now, and putting that fact in writing will hold me accountable to it. At least, I hope so.

Anyway, this is just to say that I'll be posting less frequently, and at less self-indulgent length, for the next few months. Wish me luck on the job market! I've been working toward this since I graduated college in 2009, and now it's here and real and, honestly, kind of terrifying.

I leave you with the color scheme I want to adopt this season, courtesy of some hippie knockoff M&Ms in the bulk aisle at Whole Foods. Sage green, rust, dusty gray-blue, deep plum, lavender, and mustard yellow: an odd palette for candy, but a perfect one for autumn.

17 comments:

  1. The very best of luck on the job market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the semester! I hope you can still blog sometimes, cos I really enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure I'll be able to blog occasionally. I actually have a few unfinished posts in my drafts, so those should go up before long!

      Delete
  3. Academic job applications are THE WORST. I don't mean that to be discouraging - I have to start the whole process over again myself, like, tomorrow - but it's better to be prepared for how shitty it is. I hope you are one of the lucky ones! Good luck with the teaching and dissertating too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uggghhh I know. I've seen my boyfriend go through multiple rounds of job applications, and I fully expect it to suck. I know rationally that the job market is a crapshoot and I can't count on landing a good position (or any position), but there's a difference between knowing something rationally and knowing it experientially! I just hope I can get through this semester without stress-buying too much new makeup...

      Delete
    2. I don't think there's anything wrong with a little stress-shopping under the circumstances. There are much worse vices you could indulge in!

      Delete
  4. I wish you good luck, AB! I think you will do fine and land on a nice position soon.
    But first try and enjoy this weekend! :)

    (Love the slightly moody toned hippie M&Ms. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I'm planning to treat myself to some ice cream this afternoon as a reward for doing tedious job stuff. :)

      Delete
  5. Instead of stress-buying, just forget this hiatus and vent here. :D Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wish I could! I actually appreciate that I have a place on the Internet where I can, and sort of have to, talk about something unrelated to academic concerns. In grad school, it's easy to forget that there's a whole world outside of academia and that extracurricular interests are totally legitimate.

      Delete
  6. You will be missed :( good luck on the job market, I hope you keep this space updated with your IRL stuff as well as the makeupz stuff! Please don't go away for too long, where would I get my weekly dose of pedantry? D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, the mark of a true pedant is that she can't restrain her pedantry for too long! I'm sure I'll be back now and then. Who knows, I might even master the art of time management and end up posting more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  7. Very best of luck to you! I hope you have a little time to blog because yours is one of my favorites. I'll miss your insightful reviews and especially the metablogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot, because your blog is one of MY favorites! I hate having to do this, especially since I have plenty of post ideas. I think I'll probably end up posting once a week or so.

      Delete
  8. Ahh, I will miss reading your posts. But I wish you luck and the least stressful job search possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be honest, it's pretty stressful already, but let's hope it gets less stressful as I ease into it.

      Delete