Thursday, March 2, 2017

Low-Buy 2017 Progress Report: February

A short list for a short month!

New Makeup:



NARS blush in Threesome: $30

NYX Butter Gloss in Blackberry Pie: $5

Yay, I managed to buy just two new pieces of makeup! One was carefully planned, while the other (the BLACK LIP GLOSS, obviously) was a Target impulse buy. Unfortunately, I'm not thrilled with either one. From the photos I saw on Instagram, I expected NARS Threesome to be a little cooler and purpler than it is. And because it's such a light color (seriously, it's almost white), I have to use quite a bit of product to get it to show up. I don't dislike it, exactly, but it's not what I expected. Yet another reason to swatch before buying, damn it.

NYX Blackberry Pie has the opposite problem: it's way more pigmented than I thought it would be. I've owned three other Butter Glosses, all of which delivered a nice hit of color but were definitely on the sheer side, and I bought Blackberry Pie hoping it would be that sheer black lip color I've been seeking in vain for so many months. And, um:


I thought I'd spend 2017 easing slowly into opaque-black-lip territory, but here I am already. Blackberry Pie looks like patent leather on my lips, which makes me feel cool, but it wears off quickly and it's too thick to be sheered out over another color. But hey, now I own a black lip gloss!

Replacements:



Vaseline Lip Therapy with Cocoa Butter: $2.50

Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum (jfc): $12

Does a product count as a "replacement" if it's replacing something I last owned two years ago? I'm going to go with yes. After three years of trying and failing to make Maybelline's Line Stiletto work for me, I gave up on liquid liner. Lately, though, I've been wanting to try again with a better product. After reading Lyn's review of the Physicians Formula liquid liner, I decided to pick it up. So far, I'm pretty impressed! I wish it were darker and more opaque on first swipe, but the thin brush tip gives me a lot of control, and the liner lasts all day.

I bought that little container of Vaseline Lip Therapy with cocoa butter after running out of my usual Palmer's cocoa-butter balm and failing to find another one at my local drugstores. And guess what: I think I've found my new holy grail lip balm. When I bought the Vaseline, my lower lip was cracked and painful. I applied the balm before bed and my lip was healed the next morning. Magic.

Total for February: $54.50

Notes: I was really broke in February. I mean, I'm always more or less broke because I'm a grad student, but February was especially bad. Though I wasn't tempted to spend more money than I had, I found myself making lists of all the makeup I'd buy with my next paycheck. I've been noticing a troubling psychological pattern: the less money I have in the bank, the more fiercely I want to buy shit, as if to prove to myself that I still deserve the occasional treat. Yet the day after I got paid (I'm teaching and working at the library now, so I'm earning more than I was last semester), all those cravings vanished. As if awaking from an evil spell, I started thinking more sensibly: okay, let's put X amount in savings, pay rent and utilities, wait a couple of weeks, then maybe get a new lipstick. Why does my brain do this?

By the way, I've been keeping up with my document tallying my lipstick use. My most-worn lipsticks this year, with four wears each, are Revlon Fierce, Revlon Pink Truffle, Urban Decay Backtalk, Wet n Wild Missy and Fierce, and Wet n Wild Nudist Peach. Runners-up, with three wears each, are ColourPop Trap, Glossier Cake, Maybelline Smoking Red, Milani Matte Naked, Milani The Ultimatte, Revlon Sultry, and Sephora Coral Sunset. Every time I open this document, I'm reminded of how many lipsticks I own and how few I need.

Wishlist for March:

1. Glossier Cloud Paint in Puff ($18)


Source: Glossier

The Cloud Paints launched this morning, and I ordered Puff an hour ago. I needed a new tube of Boy Brow anyway, and I've been wanting a pastel pink cream blush for those k-beauty editorial vibes, and the tubes look like little paint tubes, I mean can you even? The Cloud Paints are the first Glossier release for which I've felt active excitement. I even dreamed I was buying one of them, which is pretty sad, I realize. Exhaustive review and Glossier snark to come, I'm sure! Though let's be real: at this point, I'm drinking the Glossier Kool-Girl-Aid like everyone else.

2. Mac Matte Lipstick in Men Love Mystery ($17)


Source: MAC

As I've mentioned before, I've been searching for a matte version of MAC Up the Amp, which I finished earlier this year. I spent some time vacillating between Men Love Mystery and ColourPop Matte X in Back Up, which is only $5. But I know I like the MAC matte formula because I own three other MAC matte lipsticks, and I know MLM is the color I want because I've swatched it more than once. I've never tried the ColourPop Matte X formula, so I have no idea how my sensitive lips will react to it, and judging a lipstick's color by filtered Instagram swatches is always risky. And yeah, it's only $5, but if I order it I'm going to throw at least three other things in my ColourPop cart. I know I am, and you know it too. Best to avoid that altogether. Since I just bought Puff, though, I'm probably going to wait a couple of weeks to order Men Love Mystery. (God, I hate that name. HATE IT.)

14 comments:

  1. Longtime lurker and first-time commenter here! Just did a quick hand swatch of ColourPop Back Up, Men Love Mystery (I also hate that name, ugh), and Up the Amp-- I embarrassingly own all three *hangs head in lipstick addict shame*-- and Back Up is significantly deeper than either of the MAC lipsticks, so MLM is definitely a better substitute. Back Up is a great lipstick, though! The Matte X formula is my favorite of ColourPop's lipsticks. (Not to be enabling... though this is probably the reason I have all three of these lipsticks, sigh.) Like you, I prefer traditional lipsticks over liquid mattes, and IMO Matte X has the look/color intensity of a matte liquid lipstick without the finicky application and discomfort/dryness. Back Up applies really smoothly and wears comfortably; I don't find it significantly more drying than most matte bullet lipsticks (maybe slightly dryer than the few MAC matte lipsticks I own), though my lips aren't particularly dry or sensitive, so YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for doing those swatches! That's incredibly helpful. I had a feeling that Back Up might be darker than UTA or MLM, but it looked so different in every photo I saw because of people's Instagram filters. Maybe I'll get Back Up this fall. I do want to try the Matte X formula eventually, since I keep hearing such great things about it.

      Delete
    2. Agreed! Based on some casual Googling MLM and swatching Back Up on the back of my hand just now, MLM is lighter and more pink. You're safe not buying Back Up ;) I also find the Matte X formula to get uncomfortably dry after a few hours, but I'm in the minority there.

      Delete
    3. Actually, it was your swatch on Instagram that made me start thinking Back Up would be darker than I wanted! Thanks for posting such color-accurate photos.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's such a bummer about the NARS blush! The colour looks gorgeous in the pan. :( I've always been a strictly matte black lip kind of gal, but I like the shiny finish. Dark, dramatic colours in gloss form look like vinyl, which is obviously very sexy, but they're a bit impractical. I hope you find a good use for your black gloss!

    I'm actually quite interested in that PF liner. I think I've bought the Stila one 6 or 7 times now (it's all I've used since 2013, in any event), but if the PF one is that good and so much cheaper I might have to go for it. Totally with on you on the Maybelline Line Stiletto, though. It was the first liquid liner I bought and it was a mess. Once I discovered pen liners my whole world changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blush really isn't bad, but it takes some building up, as I suppose most pale powder blushes do. I generally prefer the look of matte black lips too, yet here we are. I'm toying with the idea of buying ColourPop's Ultra Matte Lip in Friday and layering Blackberry Pie over it, but then I'd have TWO black lip products that I'd rarely wear.

      I can't even remember why I bought the Line Stiletto in the first place. That was before I started reading a lot of beauty blogs, so I probably picked it out at random at CVS. God, it was so bad! I'll review the PF liner once I've experimented a bit more with it.

      Delete
  3. That black gloss is giving me life!
    Ela | www.stealingyoursunbeams.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe one day I'll get up the courage to wear it out of the house...

      Delete
  4. Yes the PF liner love spreads! I'm now on my second one.

    The packaging for the Glossier Cloud Paints is so cute and I want one. I really need them to start shipping to Canada, so I can order and get over my want for these products while side-eyeing their brand identity hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the comment thread for ITG's Cloud Paint post, someone pointed out that the Cloud Paint tubes look suspiciously similar to the packaging for Too Cool for School's Art Class Impasto blushes, so I guess that design isn't as original as I thought! (I'm surprised ITG let that comment through, actually.) I'm still very excited for my Cloud Paint to arrive, though.

      I don't understand why Glossier can't start shipping to Canada (let alone outside North America) when they've apparently received millions in VC money. The brand has existed for two and a half years now!

      Delete
  5. I'm amazed at how even the black gloss looks. That's where most dark glosses come apart for me (literally). Now you're making me want to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how opaque it is! I wonder why it's not classified as one of the "intense" butter glosses. Unfortunately, it doesn't last terribly long: I wore it around the house and needed to touch up after about an hour. But no one ever said opaque black gloss would be low-maintenance.

      Delete
  6. No thanks to your lovely article, I ordered 2 of the Cloud Paints. Got em today -- they are TINY! I look at each one and I cant believe they're $15 each (for the set). I guess they're targeting the tiny hands market. --E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm curious how opaque the blushes are. If they're quite pigmented (which they seem to be from the swatches I've seen), a little could go a long way. Personally, I'd rather not have a huge amount of cream blush that I can't hope to use up, since creams spoil more quickly than powders. My own Cloud Paint should arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to see it in person! Even though I'm definitely not a member of the tiny-hands club.

      Delete